Saturday, June 17, 2006

Taking up the gauntlet...

My friends have been starting up their own blogs. Competitive spirit that I am, they have succeeded in shaming me back into the blogosphere. (Not to mention, I can't place comments in their blogs unless I reactivate my blogspot membership.)

So here we go!!

Since my last attempt at blog authorship fell flat, over a year ago, I've had time to retool and think about what I'm about. Dcarto says his new blog is about energy independence. That's key, but so is something else: information independence. So that's what I'm now going to try to focus on.

I'm no fool: I know how the internet is supported, I know how centralized the media is, and I know that most of my links will be hosted (directly or indirectly) by corporate media outlets. But it's important to start moving towards the idea of information independence.

The space between your ears is the last frontier, and by now it's hardly virgin territory.

And for the spooks: ... as ramlette says, "I cock a snook at you".

2 Comments:

Blogger slomo said...

Yes, there is definitely a tug between the anarchic and autocratic impulses. Anarchy seems always to lead to autocracy, which is one of the reasons why I have trouble agreeing wholly with anarchists even though I admire many of their observations. I hope to write about that sometime in the near future.

Thanks for checking my blog!

10:00 AM  
Blogger slomo said...

It's all related. No change is possible in the outside world unless there is change inside.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned about what happens outside. The suffering of Iraqis and the American servicemen who are indentured to be their agents of death is very real, relevant, and unfortunately mostly invisible in dominant narratives.

Other bloggers are particularly talented at documenting and reporting the atrocities outside. I encourage people to find the best sources, and I feel no need to compete with those sources or make myself redundant. My personal strength is in ruminating on the way our internal states mirror the destruction outside, and on the possibilities of effecting change from the inside out.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home